Japanese (日本語)


Customs and Quarantine



For information about personal exemptions and duty free allowances, please visit the following link: Tokyo Customs Office


Contacting Customs Offices in Japan


E-mail Inquiries to Tokyo Customs

Tokyo Customs Headquarters 011-81-3-3472-7001
Narita International Airport 011-81-476-34-2128
Yokohama Customs Headquarters 011-81-45-212-6000
Kobe Customs Headquarters 011-81-78-333-3100
Osaka Customs Headquarters 011-81-6-576-3001
Kansai International Airport 011-81-724-55-1600
Nagoya Customs Headquarters 011-81-52-654-4100
Moji Customs Headquarters 011-81-93-332-8372
Nagasaki Customs Headquarters 011-81-95-828-8619
Hakodate Customs Headquarters 011-81-138-40-4261
Okinawa Regional Customs 011-81-98-863-0099


Importing or Taking Medication Into Japan for Personal Use


In order to take more than a 1-month supply of prescription or non-prescription medication, vitamins, or supplements to Japan, you must apply to the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare for permission.

Visit http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html for important information regarding taking all medication, including both prescription and over the counter types, to Japan. All queries should be directed directly to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan.


Prohibited Items


  • Narcotic drugs and narcotics paraphernalia, stimulant drugs which contain Pseudophedrine including Actifed, Sudafed and Vicks inhaler, psychotropic substances (excluding those designated by ordinance of the Ministry of Health and Welfare). Codeine is also prohibited.

  • Counterfeit, altered, or imitated articles of coins, paper currency, bank notes and securities certificates of all nations;

  • Books, drawings, carvings and any other articles injurious to public security or social morals (pornography);

  • Articles which infringe upon rights in patents, utility models, designs, trademarks, copyrights and their neighboring rights, such as imitation designer products;

  • Pistols, revolvers, and their parts. All types of ammunition. No person shall bring in any firearm without an appropriate permit;

  • Knives with blades longer than 15 centimeters.


Plant Products (plants, soil, fruits, vegetables, etc.)


For important detailed information, please visit the following Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries site:


Animal (meat, etc)


For information regarding taking animal products into Japan, please visit the following Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries site:

E-mail Inquiries regarding taking any meat products into Japan


Processed Foods


Items such as cookies, crackers, candies, cereals, dried noodles, etc., may be taken into Japan. Most varieties of nuts (with the exception of walnuts, which are prohibited) may be taken into Japan, particularly if they are salted, dried or roasted.


Taking Live Animals to Japan


For important detailed information regarding taking live animals to Japan, please visit the following Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries site:

* IMPORTANT * The documents outlined on the above site must be certified by the Agriculture Canada's Food Inspection Agency, Animal Health Division (CFIA) in the same province where the documents were issued by the veterinarian.

Contact points for CFIA Animal Health Services:

Alberta - Edmonton (780) 495-3075 Saskatchewan - Regina (306) 780-5220
Calgary (403) 299-7680 Saskatoon (306) 975-4185
Manitoba - Winnipeg (204) 983-2219 NWT & Nunavut - Queries should be directed to CFIA's Western Office at: Calgary (403) 292-4301



Endangered Species


Japan is a signatory to The Convention of International Trade in Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), and prohibits the import or export of animals, alive or otherwise, classified as endangered species under CITES.

To determine if the animal you plan to bring to Japan is covered by CITES restrictions, contact: Environment Canada, Canadian Wildlife Services for a federal export permit; and your nearest local Alberta Environment, Natural Resources Services Office for a provincial permit.

Edmonton area contact point: (780) 427-3574 Calgary area: (403) 297-6423

For more information, email: consular@cl.mofa.go.jp