Police Certificate Application Procedure

A Japanese police certificate is issued only for specific purpose(s) that the National Police Agency (NPA) has acknowledged such cases for example;
  • Application for permanent residency in Canada, USA or Australia
  • Access to restricted areas in Canadian airports
  • Working for and /or contacting with children in AB
  • Employment by the Canadian Federal Government

If the purpose of your police certificate does not apply to any of the above, please contact us for further details. 
Procedure for police certificate application

1. You must obtain a fingerprint form which is designated for NPA use. The fingerprint form and an application form are available at the consulate office.

(1)If you wish to request forms by mail, please send us a large sized (A4) stamped, self-addressed return envelope and your request-memo.

(2)If you wish to receive forms in person and go to a fingerprinting service agency on the same day, call us to book two appointments.
2. You must take the designated fingerprint forms and other required documents to any of fingerprinting service agencies .  (appointment must be made prior to visit)

*The service fee may vary depending on location and we do not take any responsibilities regarding such a service charge. Please contact one of agencies to book an appointment and inquire about the service fee.

3. Upon completion of your fingerprints, you must submit all requirements for your application to the Consulate in person regardless of the location of your residence. There is no processing fee for a police certificate.
Please contact us for an appointment at 403-294-0782.
  • Your valid passport
  • Three (3) photocopies of the photo page of your passport
  • Completed fingerprint forms
  • Application form (Sample)
  • A reference letter from the relevant authority that is requesting your police certificate, a copy of the laws or regulations which state the requirement for the police certificate and these translation. (If the purpose of your police certificate apply to those listed above, these documents are not required.)
  • A self-addressed prepaid registered mail envelope. (The certificate will be sent from the Consulate in Calgary)

4. Your application will be forwarded to the NPA in Japan. It normally takes 2 to 3 months to obtain a police certificate for a common case.